Public service is very important to me - being a career civil servant at EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality is the great joy of my professional life. However, I also hope to serve the community in my free time.
I am an active member of the drum corps and band community across the state of Michigan. Aside from my role as a teacher and mentor to young students, I am also the cofounder and current Chairperson of the Board of Directors for the Michigan Drum Corps Scholarship Fund. We are a nonprofit focused on lowering the financial barrier to marching drum corps for Michigan students. Please consider donating!
While I am paid for my teaching work with both Comstock and Ferndale, any net income I generate from these jobs is donated to the Michigan Drum Corps Scholarship Fund.
For a time, I was an active volunteer helping the Citizen's Climate Lobby with presentations. While I decided to step away from the organization in 2019, they do great work and I'm proud of the work I did with them.
I am an active member of the Kalamazoo Curling Club. I'm proud to say that we regularly hold fundraising events at the club, supporting causes like curing Lupus, supporting children's hospitals, the American Heart Association, and more.
I am an active member of the Go and R communities. I don't do any teaching or presenting beyond helping my coworkers and some grad students, but I hope to when I have more time available. If you are looking for someone to mentor or teach either of these languages, or even just want help on a project, please get in touch!
Inspired by The Good Place (specifically, the podcast, this section of the website it where I will list things, in no particular order, that give me joy, inspire me, or that I think are simply worth sharing.
- Anything I've already linked to in this page inspires me every day. I'm lucky to be surrounded by such an inspiring group of people who push me to be my best every day.
- The video game Journey is not only flawlessly executed, but reminds us that a key part of our own journey is helping those around us complete their journeys.
- The Detroit Creativity Project brings joy and creativity to a community that needs it and benefits every day.
- Jacob Collier is an incredible musician.
- I came across Go pbr in this talk a while ago and would love to play around with it sometime. The talk is fantastic.
- I am in love with the Go gopher created by Renee French.
- Fivethirtyeight is not only a refreshing data-based journalism website that I enjoy reading, but their open data repository sets the bar for accessibility in data journalism.
- I will forever be in debt to Legends Drum and Bugle Corps and Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps for the experience they provided me while I marched drum corps. I cannot put into words how much I learned, and continue to learn, from my time with those two organizations.